Archive for January, 2012
Since we’re a little over a week into the new year, I figured it’s about time I did what every other fansite does and come up with some predictions for what will happen to good ol’ Conan in 2012. The thing is, Detective Conan is one of the most boring franchises to think of predictions for because the exact same stuff happens every year. Seriously. 2011 stirred things up a little bit with the premiere of that live-action spin-off series and the occasional Magic Kaito specials, but given that last year was a pretty big one for the franchise (with the celebration of the anime’s 15th anniversary and all), I expect 2012 to be comparatively calm.
With all of that said, here are my “predictions” for 2012.
– Aoyama will keep spitting out new manga chapters. I suspect nothing major will develop in the main plot.
– TMS will keep spitting out new episodes, our annual OVA, our annual Magic File movie tie-in, and our obligatory annual feature film. “The Eleventh Striker” is looking okay so far, I guess. But seriously, another bombing plot? Can we please get something else?
– Absolutely nothing interesting will be announced regarding music releases. The TV series’ opening and ending themes will continue to change every 15 episodes or so, and CD singles will be released for all of them. The 16th movie will receive a CD single for its ending theme (likely in multiple editions) and an original soundtrack album featuring Katsuo Ōno’s score. Other than that, I predict we’ll get absolutely nothing (especially considering we just had a new “Best of…” release a few months ago).
– Now that all of the feature films have been released on Blu-Ray in Japan, the only high-definition home video release I expect to see for this series is for “The Eleventh Striker” (in seperate “regular” and “special” editions for both DVD and Blu-Ray).
– On DVD, the series will continue with its four-episode-per-disc “Part X” releases. In December, we’ll get another two additions to the “DVD Selection” series, featuring volumes for Sato and Takagi and either Inspector Megure or Professor Agasa.
– FUNimation will announce absolutely nothing for 2012. No new episodes. No feature films. Absolutely nothing. I’d love to be proven wrong on this, but their “we might consider licensing more movies someday” schtick merely seems to exist so that the fans who constantly bug them about the series will shut up.
– Viz will release their quarterly volumes of the English manga in January, April, July, and October, but nothing else (guide books, art books, etc.) will be announced.
– The Wii game will never make it to America, despite being fully translated and dubbed. Seriously, folks, the ship has sailed.
That’s it, I guess. I mean, is there anything else? When was the last time anything truly mind-blowing happened? The voice actor switch for Kogoro? This series has been pretty predictable for years now, and nothing unique really happens unless there’s some sort of tragedy (like last year’s horrific earthquake, for example), and I pray nothing like that occurs.
I’ll certainly try to get comparisons out in a speedier fashion this year! I’m just as sick of still being in “season” one as you all are. Got predictions of your own? Be sure to leave them in the comments!
Happy New Year!
Japanese Episode 010: “The Pro Soccer Player Blackmailing Case”
American Episode 010: “Deadly Game”
Original Japanese Air Date: March 11, 1996
Original American Air Date: June 08, 2004
Based On Manga: Files 068-071 (Volume 07, Chapter 08 – Volume 08, Chapter 01)
Next Conan’s Hint: Music Score
Original Version Written By: Toshiki Inōe
Original Version Directed By: Kenji Kodama
American Version Written By: Eric Vale & Matt Chaney
American Version Directed By: Eric Vale